Grow is Hull Truck Theatre’s Artist Development Programme for artists of all ages and at all stages of their careers.
The annual Grow programme consists of
- Professional Development workshops; both creative and organisational
- Be Our Guest; residencies for the development of new work
- Annual Grow Festival
- First Time Out; platforms for presenting work in development
- Showcases; programmed work in the Studio theatre
- Supported Artists
Professional Development workshops are available across a range of disciplines throughout the year. Workshops will take place on Saturdays and we will offer at least four workshops each year.
Be Our Guest
Be Our Guest is part of our residency programme and can be applied for by individual artists or companies. The residencies exist to provide artists with rehearsal space and to support and develop any part of the process of creating a new piece of work. At the end of the residency artists can choose to either present a scratch piece to an invited audience or to make a presentation of their development to Hull Truck Theatre staff.
Artists and companies at any stage in their careers are eligible to apply providing that they are able to articulate how and why their work resonates with Hull and Hull Truck Theatre’s mission and values.
HTT will provide:
- One week’s rehearsal space for research and development purposes
- A dedicated mentor from the HTT Grow team
- A pre-residency planning meeting to help assess your development needs
- Meetings and conversations with relevant staff
- Accommodation for up to 7 people
HTT is unable to provide:
- Technical or production staff
- Main house or Studio theatres
Be Our Guest dates 2016
|29 February - 5 March||Application Deadline Friday 8 January, decisions announced by Friday 29January|
|13 - 18 June||Application Deadline Friday 22 April, decisions announced by Friday 13 May|
|5 - 10 September||Application Deadline Friday 15 July, decisions announced Friday 5 August|
|First Time Out: Saturday 28 May||Application deadline Friday 1 April 2016|
How to Apply
First Time Out
First Time Out is part of the annual festival and provides artists with a chance to share work as it develops. It could be anything from a rehearsed reading, a scratch performance or preview. The performances can include discussions and feedback with audiences and Hull Truck Theatre staff. We will work with you to determine the most appropriate ways for you to gather feedback.
Check out the video from last year's Grow Festival and the 24 Hour Plays: